2/08/2011

Tournures and Hooped Petticoats

Tournures and Hooped Petticoats - Fashion and Etiquette in the 19th Century is a fantastic exhibition I've just visited in my hometown, Budapest. "It presents the most beautiful and interesting pieces from the uniquely rich collection of the Hungarian Museum of Trade and Tourism."
What it actually presents: clothes and accessories from the 19th Century, the way people dressed and the way they behaved towards each other. 
It is interesting. I always loved 19th Century clothes and style and seeing them in real life and being so close to them was a fantastic experience! There were pieces in the museum we could even try on! 
Anyways, let me introduce you my little coverage from the Tournures and Hooped Petticoats exhibition!
at the entrance
The most specific elements of 19th Century clothing are tournures, bustles, crinolines, corsets, fringes, embroidery, huge hats and pagoda sleeves. Since the cleavage of the dresses were wide, women had to cover their shoulders with shawls. 
Material-wise, women's fashion prefer velvet, satin, mohair, muslin, silk, lace, organdy and batiste. They typically wore simple, matching colors, floral patterns and stripes. 


My favorite photo

"...The preferred hairstyle is heavy, thick braids built up into large buns. In contrast to the over-decorated dresses, jewelry is relatively simple: enamelled medallions on a thin velvet ribbon. On their heads they wore a scarf-like lace bonnet or a small hat worn to the side and brought forward to cover part of the forehead, with ribbons and veils."


I had to try a head-band like this on.
It's as if I had a nest on my head, isn't it?
It's a cape-like thing which looks amazing, though this isn't really a good picture - my reflection can be seen on the glass :)
"...The head is small with a bun at the nape of the neck or the top of the head with a fringe overhanging the forehead. Small, pointed bonnets or tall, veiled hats were worn. The shoulders are wide and padded, the bosom is emphasized. A tall, frilly collar most often covers the neck. The waist of these dresses is usually peaked, the skirt section folded into vertical pleats at the front and standing out rigidly at the rear, reaching down to the ankle."



"In the 1840s ladies wore soft shoes with thin soles and no heels. They liked wearing cross-ribboned shoes, which they tied to their ankles using the ribbons.
Sometime later flat-heeled, laced shoes appear.
In the 1850s and 1860s daytime shoes were made of leather, with medium high heels and reached up to the ankle or shin. Eveningwear included low cut silk slippers.
In the 1870s and 1880s shoes with English heels and patent leather shoes are worn during the day. Ball-gowns are worn with pointed shoes made of filigree, embroidered Danish leather or silk with high, wooden heels. Winter shoes have higher uppers and are more closed."


Accessories I.
Accessories II.
Accessories III.
"In the middle of the 19th Century, people still liked to use natural scents and perfumes. The favorite scents of the times were musk, patchouli and ambergris. They also enjoyed the scent of various flowers (rose, violet, lavender, carnation, jasmine, lilac, lily of the valley) as well as several herbs and spices such as vanilla and cinnamon."
The scents displayed were amazing!
Mint, vanilla, cinnamon, rose and lavender.
Beauty products
This one's funny - it's a mustache curling iron! 

I hope you enjoyed the photo report. If you're in Budapest and have an hour, visit this museum - you won't regret it! 
What do you think of the post? Do you like fashion history? Comment :) xo

Click on the picture to see a larger view!

DivatSalon fashion magazine covers

7 comments:

  1. I'm the first to comment this incredible post :D
    I like visiting museums and, if I could, I'd definitely go there!
    Interesting post!

    Emma

    ReplyDelete
  2. the dress back then were definitely well made! to think they've been around for such a long time.

    http://nauticalwheelerjewelry.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely!

    I'm surprised they let you take pictures, most exhibitions I go to don't allow you to. I really like the photo which you said was your favourite, it makes for an interesting effect with your reflection in the mirror.

    http://fashionmoriarty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing how clothes changed over the centuries! I would like to visit a museum that specializes in historical clothes from all around the world! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great collection of clothing! I really like those products! So awesome! Glad I stopped by here in your beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank so much for sharing! My mom and aunt were in Budapest when this exhibit was open, and they didn't go!!! I'm so glad I got to experience the exhibit through your photos. Did they sell a book of the exhibit at the museum?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These kind of post are always inspiring and I prefer to read quality content so I happy to find many good point here in the post.Luxebutik – a trusted online Fashionstore ,offer you to buy armani clothes at very affordable prices .

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...