12/24/2010

Fashion Related Health Problems

Of course you expect me to write about eating disorders here, but sadly they're not the only price we might pay for being a fashion addict.
I read dozen of articles about the topic and tried to sum it up as much as I could. It actually made me think about the whole thing a bit, although I can clearly see that the possibility of the majority of the threats listed is approximately zero percent.


1.) Handbags
Now that it's stylish to wear oversized, huge totes, women can easily carry more than 10 pounds on a daily basis. A bag too heavy can damage one's muscles, nerves and can lead to back and neck pains or even curve one's spine. 
I understand that a woman needs what a woman needs, but it is scary to hear that it's not only uncomfortable, but it's dangerous. Does it worth it? I don't really think so.
The other problem that a messy handbag might lead to is the spreading of bacteria. For example, your wallet full of your money surely is nasty since you grab it a few times with really dirty hands, than put it back next to your sandwich for instance, or it can even touch your make-up tools, brushes or anything, so you get the bacterias all over your face and get blemishes. One must keep their make-up in a separated pouch and clean up and organize their handbag often. 


2.) High Heels
We all know it's not very healthy. It can lead to orthopedic problems, can cause bunion and corns, can hurt your ankle, knees and joints. The ideal height of a heel would be 2-3 centimeters, which means about 0.7-1.2 inches, and one should be able to move their toes comfortably in a shoe, that's what proves it healthy. The fact is, nobody wants to wear ugly shoes, right? And a 1 inch heel is disgusting most of the time, so as too-wide toe part. 
Of course wearing heels every once in a while is not a problem, but wearing it for 8-12 hours a day is. I don't see the solution here, since a few workplaces require their workers to wear high heels. Anyways, it's not healthy, but it will still be worn be people. They might just be a little more problematic when they get older.


3.) Bra
Wearing the wrong bra size can cause shoulder-, back- and lung problems, can lead to headache, arm and chest pains. The moral it: you should get yourself properly fitted each time you buy a bra. I know, it's too much complication, but it's not for nothing. I personally hate buying bras even without the measuring procedure, but I thing I'd rather spend some more time on this then at the doctor's later.


4.) Make-up
Old makeup is really bad for you. I mean, seriously, it is. A British research reveals that a quarter of women are risking their eyes' health by using bacteria-infected eye make-up that's over 4 years old (seriously!?). Mascara can also only be used for 6 months, it's really dangerous to use it after that - still 92% of women admittedly keep their mascara for even two years. 
Sharing eye make-up van cause bacterial eye infections, such as conjunctivitis. 


I could also write about eating disorders such as anorexia nervosa, EDNOS or bulimia nervosa here, but I don't think it's necessary, plus I'd be hypocrite then, since even I had and have problems with various forms of eating disorders. Anyways, you guys probably all know about the risks and facts of eating disorders. 

What do you think? Do you ever do anything that could cause you health problems based on the listed things above? Comment :) xo

23 comments:

  1. Great post! High heels can be dangerous though if your sitting at your desk all day and wearing heels you should be fine. Also I heard wearing flats can be just as much of a problem. It can put a strain on your feet- it's always good to have a little wedge on your flats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People don`t get eating-disorders from fashion. They get it from emotional or family problems!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're definitely right, although it's for sure that fashion and the image it shows leads to eating disorders pretty often in the circle of teenage girls these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think it's great that you wrote this post. everyone talks about eating disorders but no one ever mentions the other things women do to suffer for fashion. the makeup and bra ones especially apply to me. my boobs are huge and finding a good bra is tough so i tend to get lazy and buy whatever i can fit into. and dnt even get me started on the makeup. i have some mascara i should go throw out now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you like the post. The reason I wrote it was that really everyone thinks it's only the EDs that can be caused (partially) by fashion indeed. So I thought it might be an eye-opener. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great topics to point out. I know I've probably done damage by wearing heels that are too high, but I've always put the issue off because I like how the shoe looks. it sounds so simple (but hard to do), like wearing modest heels and not sharing makeup, but it definitely adds up as you get older.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My bag is SO heavy, I feel like I don't have to go to the gym that often because it's serious exercise to carry it around. I need to figure out a way to lighten my load! Thanks for the informative post!

    PS
    I am following you now!!! Come check out my blog at
    www.tresawesome.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great things to point out. Especially the make-up! People don't realize how much bacteria can build up in your products!

    x.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great posts1 you pointed out so many things that happen to everyone but no one actually realizes it..but you explained it with a great candor :)
    Anupriya*

    ReplyDelete
  10. yes you have just reveled the ugly truth of fashion industry

    pictures were well chosen , don't try to look perfect for somebody else doing all kind of make up you leading to health issue in future

    ReplyDelete
  11. To subscribe, visit the magazine's web site and click on their 'subscribe' button. What you should do is to focus or target a particular group of muscle for once or even twice a week. Menopause weight gain is not inevitable, but it can be more difficult to maintain a healthy weight as your metabolism slows.

    Also visit my web-site - just click the next web page

    ReplyDelete
  12. Laughter is a best solution of fear, anger and boredom.
    They are no different than us, as people who are
    loved and cherished by thier families. Music: My - Space is indeed the friend
    of music, but it has close ties with the independent artists, who
    make up for what they lack in record contracts and money by being My - Space-strong,
    building a strong fan base and creating loyal street teams, which then take on a
    lot of the advertising on the band's behalf.

    Here is my weblog funny funny pictures and jokes

    ReplyDelete
  13. Most of you hunger to know more about the glitzy life styles of glamorous celebrities and sensual models.
    Also, find one that has includes videos explaining the latest
    news because that is sometimes the best way to see it.
    Celebritynewsapp has developed a celebrity app which
    is getting popular day by day.

    Here is my site - latest celeb news

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice respond in return of this matter with real arguments and telling all concerning that.



    Look into my website - http://www.unisoncreations.ca/index.php?option=com_blog&view=comments&pid=815&Itemid=0

    ReplyDelete
  15. Most of you hunger to know more about the
    glitzy life styles of glamorous celebrities and sensual models.
    Also, find one that has includes videos explaining the latest news because that is sometimes the
    best way to see it. As a consequence it can be contended
    the media is directing many persons astray moving away from what should be its aim of presenting discerning news and analytic thinking of pressing topics for this celebrity frippery.



    Feel free to visit my website - latest celeb news

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll immediately take hold of your rss as I can't
    find youг е-mail ѕubscrіptiοn hуpеrlіnk οr newsletteг servicе.
    Do yоu hаνе anу? Kindly ρermit
    me reсognise in oгder that I сould subscribе.
    Τhanks.

    Таke a look at my ωeb page hcg diet

    ReplyDelete
  17. I suppose your inquiring initially why we will not be
    keen to take much more foreigners right here.? We also have system that each citizen have right to get pretty excellent
    income as an example in case of joblessness and so on.
    So taking foreigners right here implies we've to spend to them their living ahead of they get job if they get 1. Fundamentally there's numerous problems at this time caused by foreigners that we never see it really
    smart to truly support using a lot a lot more.

    So it kinda goes further than just schooling.

    Also visit my blog - 60 minute stamina dvd download

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey there.
    I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are
    you using for this site? I'm getting fed up of Wordpress because I've had issues with hackers and I'm looking at alternatives for another platform. I would be fantastic if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

    Stay tuned and review my web page at The Perfect Golf Swing for a lot more detail.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So it boils down to energy in/calories out with protein having a metabolic
    advantage as a result of the satiating impact as well as the TEF?


    Also visit my web site :: lean eating coaching success stories

    ReplyDelete
  20. I ordered a Support Boston Tee on April 17, but I havent acquired it yet.


    Have they all been sent out?? My mom received her and they look
    fantastic.
    Thanks
    Nichole

    my web blog ... how to build muscle strength

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing this great blog...I see many high heel-created foot problems that go on to surgery...Most of the time i avoid to wear high heels...This is my one of best blog..

    Apparel & Fashion

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...